Prinsep Ghat (in Bengali script: প্রিন্সেপ ঘাট) is a Ghat built in 1841 during the British Raj along the bank of the Hoogly River Kolkata in India. The Palladian porch in the memory of the eminent Anglo-Indian scholar James Prinsep was constructed in 1843.
Located between the Water Gate and the St George’s Gate of the Fort William, the monument was restored by the state’s public works department in November 2001 and has since been well-maintained. In its initial years, all royal British entourages used the Prinsep Ghat jetty for embarkation and disembarkation.
Prinsep Ghat is one of the oldest recreational spots of Kolkata. People visit it in the evenings on weekends to go boating on the river, stroll along the bank and purchase food from stalls there. A 2-kilometre stretch of the beautified riverfront from Princep Ghat to Babughat (Baje Kadamtala Ghat) was inaugurated on 24 May 2012.
Prisep Ghat today. Second Hoogly Bridge (Vidyasagar setu) which starts from Prisep Ghat, also seen here.
“Prinsep Ghat, Kolkata, 1900s” by Unknown – http://in.news.yahoo.com/photos/exquisite-hundred-year-old-photos-of-british-raj-discovered-in-a-shoe-box-slideshow/exquisite-hundred-year-old-photos-of-british-raj-discovered-in-a-shoe-box-photo-1336556192.html. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons – http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Prinsep_Ghat,_Kolkata,_1900s.jpg#/media/File:Prinsep_Ghat,_Kolkata,_1900s.jpg