Barely three months after Tata Motors certified the Nano “absolutely safe”, in a first in Delhi, a car went up in flames at a parking lot in Aurobindo Marg on Friday. The driver managed to get out on seeing sparks; in all of two minutes, only a charred frame remained.
The car, which belonged to a Supreme Court advocate, had just pulled into the parking lot around 11.30 am when driver Patrick John noticed sparks in the rear, where the engine is located. “I was waiting in the car, having just parked it, when sparks started coming out. Thankfully, I managed to leap out of the car in time. The car was destroyed in two minutes flat,” said John.
Two similar incidents were reported in Vadodara and Mumbai earlier this year following which Tata Motors launched an inquiry. In May, it said the accidents were due to unrelated reasons and that the car was safe.
Source : Timesofindia.com